Extra care housing
If your independence and privacy are important to you, but you need some extra help, extra care housing could be for you. It gives you more support than sheltered housing but more independence than a care home.
You have your own front door and the security of renting or owning your own home, and care and support staff available 24 hours a day if you need them.
Extra care housing properties vary but they all have communal areas where you can meet and enjoy activities with other residents, and extra services on site. There's a choice of properties including flats and bungalows.
View the extra care housing directory of local services and organisations
This link will take you back to the current Plymouth Online Directory. We haven't quite finished developing this section of our new website yet.
How to apply for extra care housing
First of all, Livewell Southwest will need to carry out a needs assessment to check you are eligible.
Support available in extra care housing
The type and level of support you get will depend on your needs and the scheme where you live but can include:
- 24 hour support
- domestic support such as cleaning
- personal care such as help to get dressed
- communal facilities such as a lounge, dining area and garden
- organised activities such as group outings, hobby groups or film nights
- help to manage your bills
- help to stay active, healthy and safe
Paying for extra care housing
Extra care housing costs fall into four areas:
- the cost of buying or renting your home
- any service charges for maintenance and any communal facilities
- your care costs, such as help to get dressed
- your support costs, such as cleaning or laundry
If you're on a low income, you might be able to get Council Tax Support and Housing Benefit to pay towards some of the costs.